Wednesday 3 November 2010

Victoria's Interview on the hollyoaks website.

Victoria Atkin plays youngest daughter of the Costello family, Jasmine, who is Seth's twin. Jasmine has kept a secret from her family for many years - she wants to be a boy. We spoke to Victoria to find out how she's getting on in her new role, and what she thinks of working on Hollyoaks...

How have you settled into Hollyoaks so far? Have people been welcoming?
It's all been a bit of a whirlwind because I had the audition and then started straight away - I didn't even have time to go home again! It's been hard learning everyone's names and getting into the mass of people at Hollyoaks, but they've all been really good to me.

Have you bonded with anyone in particular?
Yeah, Rachel Shenton who's playing Mitzeee, Miles who's playing my twin brother Seth, and Helen who's playing Jem. It's all been really good fun.

What's the best thing about joining a show like Hollyoaks?
I think for me as an actress it's great! It's really nice to be a part of something so big and there's such a lot of people watching it, it's got a great following.

Can we expect some exciting storylines?
Yes, definitely. It's already been announced what my big storyline is, so there's some really great stuff happening for Jasmine / Jason's character.

Yes, your character Jasmine will have a Gender Identity Disorder. How does it feel to be trusted with delivering such a sensitive storyline?
It is a really challenging role but I'm excited to get my teeth into something so quickly as an actress. It's a privilege to be able to play such a challenging role, and there's a lot of pressure to do it justice. But that's my job and that's what I intend to do, I'll make sure it's true to those people with Gender Identity Disorder.

Have you done a lot of research about the disorder in advance, in order to portray things properly?
The team have been fantastic, they've done so much research. I've also met some people who are transgender so they've been really helpful. I've been chatting with them and I've put their experiences into the character.

Is it quite hard going?
Yeah it is quite hard going because obviously being a girl who likes my own body, its hard to think how you'd hate to be born into the wrong body. It's just tough getting that mindset, but it's just like any character - as soon as you get it then it's there and it works. I've just seen some of the editing and the rushes for Jason today for the first time because I was really curious to see how realistic it looks, and it looks really good.

Have you been filming loads of scenes since you joined the show?
Yeah it's been working all night from four in the afternoon until four in the morning, and I've been trying to move up to Liverpool so it has been a little full on for the past few months. I haven't really had much time to myself at all. Hopefully soon there will be a little bit of a break in episodes but I think I'm going harcore until Christmas at least!

What were you doing before you came on the show?
I was teaching 4 to 7 year-olds drama, dance and singing so that was really good, and at christmas I played Cinderella. So that's me - Cinderella to now a fella! So playing my character is a big difference from the last character I played as an actress. This is my first TV job and it's really exciting, I'm learning a lot.

No comments:

Post a Comment